The City of Mentor has been operating under its own Charter since January 1962 when voters adopted the Council-Manager form of government. Under this system, a seven-member council is elected by the voters on a non-partisan basis. Three members serve At-Large, while the remaining four are elected to represent each of the four Wards.
Every two years, Council chooses one of its own members to serve as President of Council.
Council is responsible for hiring a City Manager to oversee and direct all municipal operations.
Per City Charter, organizational meetings, which are held every two years, begin at 7:30 p.m.
2017 Meeting Schedule
- January 3
- January 17
- February 7
- February 21
- March 7
- March 21
- April 4
- April 18
- May 2 – CANCELLED
- May 16
- June 6
- June 20
- July 5 (Wednesday)
- Summer Break
- September 5
- September 19
- October 3
- October 17
- November 8 (Wednesday)
- November 21
- December 5
- January 2, 2018
- Mentor City Council Work Session – May 16, 2017, 6 PM (Fire Levy)
- Mentor City Council Meeting Agenda Results (As Amended) – May 16, 2017
- Mentor City Council Meeting Packet – May 16, 2017 (1 of 3)
- Mentor City Council Meeting Packet – May 16, 2017 (2 of 3)
- Mentor City Council Meeting Packet – May 16, 2017 (3 of 3)
- Ordinance 17-O-53 As Amended Staff Report & Exhibit A
- Mentor City Council Meeting Minutes – April 18, 2017
- Mentor City Council Work Session Minutes – April 18, 2017
Meetings are open to the public and are broadcast live on the Mentor Channel, Time Warner Channels 12 & 96.12 as well as AT&T U-Verse Channel 99.
Meetings are rebroadcast numerous times throughout the following week.
Meetings are also archived so that you can view them at your convenience. Access our Video on Demand feature.
Current City Council Members
The Law Director is appointed by City Council and is an attorney-at-law, admitted to the practice of law in the State of Ohio. The Law Director is the advisor to, and the attorney and counsel for, the City of Mentor and its officers and divisions. The Director and his staff are responsible for representing the city and for prosecutions for offenses against the ordinances of Mentor and the relevant laws of the State of Ohio. Contact the Law Director at firstname.lastname@example.org.