Mentor’s Bikeway System consists of a combination of bike lanes and bikepaths. So, what’s the difference between a bike lane and a bikepath? Bike lanes are five feet wide, are constructed along both sides of the road and they are clearly marked for bike use only. Bike lanes can be found along Lake Shore Boulevard, Munson Road and Hopkins Road.
A bikepath is a paved path ten feet wide that is physically separated from the road by an area of lawn. Bikepaths exist throughout the Civic Center Complex, on Center Street, north from Market Street connecting to Hopkins Road and Lakeshore Boulevard and along Hendricks Road to Norwood Drive.
In 1999, Mentor was one of only two cities in the entire Greater Cleveland Area to receive a Bicycle Friendly Community Award from the League of American Bicyclists, a national bicycle advocacy group. The award recognizes a city’s commitment to constructing comprehensive bikeway systems. Mentor continues to expand its Bikeway System as resources become available.
Please don’t hesitate to call the Police Department, Records Bureau at (440) 974-5762 if you have any questions.
On the Road
- All traffic laws that apply to motorists apply to cyclists.
- Obey all traffic control devices.
- Use hand signals to alert motorists of turns and stops.
- Be especially alert for motorists turning right.
Ride on the Right
- Always ride in the same direction as traffic – never against traffic.
- Ride as near as practicable to the right side of the roadway.
- Use the designated lane for your intended direction of travel – make left turns from the designated turn lane. Stay to the right within that lane.
- Ride in a straight line.
- Don’t swerve in the road or between parked cars.
- Check for traffic before entering streets or intersections.
- Anticipate road hazards and adjust accordingly.
- Wear brightly colored clothing that provides contrast.
- Use a white front and red rear light in low light conditions.
- Use a reflector or reflective tape or clothing anytime you bike.
- Making eye contact with motorists increases the chance that they have seen you.
Always Wear a Properly Fitting Helmet
- Wear a helmet, no matter how short the trip.