Commission members review all new industrial and commercial buildings, subdivisions, rezoning and conditional use permit requests. Seven members each serve four year terms and meet every three weeks on Thursdays at 7:00 p.m., Municipal Center. If you have any questions, contact the Council Office at (440) 974-5756.
Visit Public Meetings for a list of all meetings and the current meeting agenda.
PLANNING AND ZONING COMMISSION RULES AND REGULATIONS
1. The Planning and Zoning Commission each even numbered year shall have an organizational meeting during its first session in January. At such organizational meeting the Commission shall elect, by secret ballot, a Chairman, Vice-Chairman, and Secretary for a term of two years or until the ensuing election is completed.
2. In the event of a vacancy in the office of Chairman, Vice-Chairman or Secretary, the Commission shall by majority vote, elect a successor to serve the remainder of the term; but pending such election, the Vice-Chairman shall fill the office of Chairman until a new Chairman is elected.
3. The Chairman of the Planning and Zoning Commission shall preside at all meetings of the Commission and shall perform all other ordinary duties of such an office. He may represent the Commission before City Council and the public and shall appoint such committees as are necessary to expedite the functions of the Commission
4. There shall be a Vice-Chairman to serve in the absence of the Chairman. He shall perform such other duties as are assigned by the Chairman or the Commission.
5. There shall be a Secretary who shall affix the Commission approval to all plats or documents requiring approval. The Secretary shall preside at meetings in the absence of both the Chairman and Vice-Chairman.
6. There shall be a Recording Secretary appointed to record and keep the minutes of the Commission. Minutes shall be made and maintained of all proceedings, showing the action of the Commission and the vote of each member upon each question.
1. The Planning and Zoning Commission shall regularly meet every third Thursday, commencing with January 10, 1985 at 7:00 p.m. in the Council Chambers of the Mentor Municipal Center; and at such other times and locations as the Commission may, by resolution, determine.
2. Special meetings shall be called at the discretion of the Chairman with a minimum three days notice to the members. Such notice will specify the purpose for which the meeting is called.
3. All regular and special meetings of the Commission shall be open to the public. Executive or work sessions may be held, however, no final action will be taken at an executive or work session.
4. Four (4) members shall constitute a quorum for the transaction of official business.
5. Members of the Commission are responsible for notifying the Chairman or Recording Secretary of their impending absence from a Commission meeting and the reason thereof.
1. The Order of Business, unless otherwise waived by the Commission, shall be as follows:
a. Roll Call
b. Approval of Minutes
c. Public Hearings
d. Action to Tabled Applications
e. New Business
f. Informal Review
g. Director’s Report
h. Other Business
2. Unless otherwise waived by the Commission, all public hearings, new business, action on tabled applications and informal reviews will be heard and acted upon before 10:30 p.m.; and no other business will be transacted or discussed after that.
3. Action shall be taken by motion, and a majority affirmative vote is necessary for the passage of any motion except those rules of procedure requiring a two-thirds vote under Roberts Rules of Order and amendments to these Rules and Regulations.
4. If a majority of the members at a meeting of the Planning and Zoning Commission at which a quorum is present, vote in favor of recommending a zoning or land use change or other motion, the same shall be deemed to be a favorable recommendation. If a majority of the members at a meeting of the Planning and Zoning Commission, at which a quorum is present, vote against recommending a zoning of land use change or other motion, or if a tie vote results, the same shall be deemed to be an unfavorable recommendation.
5. For purpose of voting, the Recording Secretary shall call the roll of members of the Commission in alphabetical order of their last names, with the Chairman voting last.
6. Text changes to the Zoning Code or the Subdivision Code may be originated by individual members of the Commission. These proposed text changes will be included on the Commission agenda upon the request of any two members of the Commission.
7. Meetings shall be conducted in accordance with “Roberts Rules of Order”. Any action taken by the Commission may be reconsidered provided that a motion to reconsider be made by a member who voted with the prevailing side of the initial consideration and said motion receives a majority affirmative vote, and further provided, that such action to reconsider take place prior to the conclusion of the meeting at which the initial action was taken.
1. The Legal Counsel will attend or be represented at all regular meetings of the Commission.
2. The meeting agenda will be provided to the members of the Planning Commission no later that Friday of the week prior to the regularly scheduled meeting.
3. Attendance and designation of Commission members at professional meetings, seminars, conferences, training workshops, etc., involving an expenditure of city funds, shall be approved in advance by the Commission Chairman.
4. Minor Subdivisions approved by the Director of Community Development pursuant to Section 152.031 of Mentor’s Code of Ordinances will be reported to the Planning Commission, in writing, at the next Commission meeting following approval; said report will specify as a minimum the applicant’s name, location, size and dimensions of each minor subdivision approved.
5. Fees to be charged applicants or appellants, unless otherwise specified, shall be established by the Director of Community Development and the Planning Commission will be notified.
6. Incomplete items shall not be placed on the agenda. The following is a list of the requirements for a complete submittal.
Final Site Development Plan: Detailed site plan, Complete drainage calculations, Landscape plan which includes plant list and quantities.
Preliminary Subdivision Plat: Conceptual drainage plans, Preliminary plan.
Final Subdivision Plat: Final plat which includes location of all required easements.
Complete improvement plans which include: complete overall drainage plans and drainage calculations, title sheet, general notes, general plan with existing topographical information, plans and profiles, site and grading plans, complete construction details.
7. These items must be submitted by the deadlines previously established by the Commission. if all items are not present, the request should be considered incomplete and should not be placed on the Commission’s agenda. The staff should notify the applicant no later than 8 days prior to the meeting of the items that are missing and inform them of the next deadline for submission. Upon submission of the additional information, the item should be scheduled for the Commission’s next meeting.
V. REMOVAL OF MEMBERS
1. A member of the Planning and Zoning Commission may be expelled or removed from the Commission for one or more of the following reasons:
- Conviction while in office of a felony or other crime involving moral turpitude;
- Violation of his oath of office including gross misconduct or malfeasance or nonfeasance in, or disqualification for office.
- Continuous absence from more than three consecutive regular meetings of the Planning Commission without a valid reason or excused absence by the Chairman or absence from more than fifty percent of the regular meetings during any 12-month period.
2. Action to remove a member from the Commission can be brought by two or more members of the Commission, in writing, specifying the reasons for requesting removal. A date will be set for a public hearing. The accused member shall be notified in writing of the charge or charges against him at least 15 days in advance of such public hearings; and he or his counsel shall be given an opportunity to be heard, present evidence, and examine witnesses appearing in support of such charge or charges.
3. Expulsion or removal from the Commission shall be upon the concurrence of five or more of the members of the Planning Commission after a public hearing upon the charge or charges brought and thereupon the office of any such removed or expelled member of the Commission shall be vacant. The City Council will be notified of the vacancy on the Commission so that a replacement member can be appointed.
AMENDED: 5-27-82; 7-14-83; 1-30-86; 2-18-88