With the arrival of cooler temperatures, it will soon be time to turn on your furnace. The Mentor Fire Department wants to remind residents of the importance of having a Carbon Monoxide Detector
Often called the silent killer, carbon monoxide (CO) is an invisible, odorless, colorless gas created when fuels (such as gasoline, wood, coal, natural gas, propane, oil, and methane) burn incompletely. In the home, heating and cooking equipment that burn fuel are potential sources of carbon monoxide. To avoid CO from vehicle exhaust, pull vehicles well clear of the garage when warming up, so car exhaust containing carbon monoxide isn’t blown into house.
The Carbon Monoxide Detector will warn you when CO levels are too high, and allow you to exit your home to seek fresh air. If your CO detector goes off, call 911 and have the Mentor Fire Department come and check the CO levels in your home. Avoid a tragedy by installing a Carbon Monoxide Detector today or replacing detectors that are out of date.